Friday, October 26, 2007

Chapter 3, Page 18 Overkill?



Twelve is such an impressionable age.

Actually, this was closer to being a reasonable concern when I was that age. There were a lot of stories on the news of kids being taken into foster care because some social services type felt that the parents weren't properly PC. At least, that's the impression I got. I was twelve, so it's possible I missed something. A lot of the kids seemed to have been home schooled, too, so I really freaked out.

It is true that home schooling gets a pretty bad rap from the media. I have yet to see a positive portrayal in a major TV series. Heck, *any* TV series outside EWTN.

4 comments:

~Karen said...

Hi! Saw your posting on Blogging History. We homeschool as well and I laughed at the strips - they sound like my oldest dd. :-D

Brigid said...

Thank you. ^_^ I'm glad to meet a fellow homeschooler.

Journo-SEAL said...

I know someone who was homeschooled and he turned out just fine. I don't know what everyone is so uptight about.

By the way, whats EWTN?

Brigid said...

@Journo: I think people are uptight because there's such a huge focus on 'socialization' and things like that. Plus, public education seems to be trying to make itself into substitute parents, so the idea of parents taking the job of child-rearing into their own hands terrifies them. Oversimplifying, somewhat.

EWTN stands for Eternal World Television Network. It's a cable channel run by nuns.