Friday, February 20, 2009

Chapter 7, Page 15 Old maid at 14

A little older than old fashioned.

Dad's not exactly what one usually thinks of when someone says 'old fashioned.' And yet, he is. He's just a lot older fashioned than most. Think 200 BC, Northern Europe. Only without the warpaint and human sacrifice.

He also takes his duty to embarrass his children to within an inch of their lives very seriously.

I had a hard time coming up with the visuals for this strip. Mary freaking out all over the panels wouldn't leave much room for the words. So then I thought I'd draw something very sedate and domestic to counter balance the strange conversation going on in the next room. Which also gave me my punch line. Man, I love the creative process. (When it works.)

5 comments:

Brian H. Gill said...

Hoo ha.

Do you ever have me pegged.

Tenacious-K said...

That is one funny strip, Brigid! I love how scandalized Mary is at what her dad is discussing. I mean, she is of the age when boys still may have kooties!

It's a dad's job to do crap like that, though. Sorry. I think the subliminal idea is to gross out the daughter with this stuff to trigger an avoidance response for as long a possible. Must work; my daughter didn't marry until she was 30! Hoo-hah!

T-K

Brigid said...

@Dad: After 25 years I better.

@Tenacious-K: And how Dad revels in his job! lol Especially with me as it's usually rather hard to embarrass me yet when I am embarrassed it's so fun to watch! (My little sisters are embarrassed much easier so they don't make a good challenge.)

Journo-SEAL said...

Wow. This reminds me so much of my parents. Especially my Dad XD

Brigid said...

@Journo: Fun, right? Good grief.